ABOB Executive Board Meeting Minutes Monday, August 23, 2021
MEMBERS IN ATTENDANCE
Ruth Waggener – President
Jeanna Hasty – Vice President
Ed Gray – Financial Secretary
Roger Waggener – ABOB.net
Dave & Paula Fritz – Craft Fair
TEACHERS IN ATTENDANCE
President Waggener called the meeting to order at 7:10 pm. Minutes from our June meeting are posted abob.net. ABOB did not meet in July due to Marching 100 band camp going on.
The August financial report was reviewed. Treasurer Dawn Humphrey was unable to make the meeting but emailed the following: “Our CDs matured so you’ll notice the interest reflected in the new balances for those. Lots of bills paid this past month. All within budget and all anticipated. We did spend quite a bit more than we brought in for the month, even with band camp fees coming in but I think that is to be expected as we kick off the school year while we have gone so long without major fundraiser money coming in. So no concerns and looks as it should under the circumstances. Shout out to Julianna for selling some silks!”
David Fritz inquired if Craft Fair booth fees that were rolled over from last year are recognized on last year’s budget or this year’s budget. M100 is operating at 100% with band camp, regular rehearsals, and competitions schedules. David shared the concern that if Craft Fair happens this year, ABOB does not have the income to help cover the costs to operate this year’s Craft Fair. There is currently a full year’s income of Craft Fair budgeted, but it is likely Craft Fair will be under budget on income and over budget on expenses. We have already spent last year’s 2020 rollover booth fees and 2021 new booth fees are currently at $1,070.00. David suggested that the budgeted Craft Fair income be adjusted 75 – 80% lower. Ed Gray noted we are going to be down with everything.
David and Paula Fritz recommend should this year’s Craft Fair be cancelled, all booth fees be refunded and start over fresh for next year. Vice President Jeanna Hasty suggested another online auction for next fall.
Laura proposed suspending the August, 2021 Treasurer’s Report until next month in order to discuss budget cuts with the music staff and Ed. President Ruth Waggener moved the motion. Vice President Jeanna Hasty seconded the motion.
[Addendum: Laura P. reached out to past Treasurer Cindy Kirbach who said roll over Craft Fair booth fees from 2020 are part of the 2021-22 Budget. Treasurer Dawn Humphrey confirmed with David Fritz that current Craft Fair booth fees income is $15,065. 8-26-21]
High School Orchestra – Laura Plummer
- 62 students in high school orchestra.
- Chamber starts this week. Chamber is performing a wedding.
- Symphonic Orchestra is performing at The Nature Institute Friday, September 24 6:00p.m. for a fundraiser for TNI. $10 for adults, $5 students, kids 12 and under free.
High School Band – Blake Korte
- Looking forward to start playing in class.
- Marching is going well. Band will be inside this week due to heat.
- Percussion going to SIUE Marching Percussion Festival this Saturday hosted at Granite City. M100 performs at 12:30.
- First home football game next Friday followed by O’Fallon competition the next weekend.
- Online M100 merchandise store closes tonight. Looking forward to starting 5th grade band at the Recruitment Rally September 2.
- President Ruth Waggener asked about the band trip destination. Blake would like to explore options other than Disney. The high school music staff has discussed a possible music department trip for next year. Laura has concerns with the current pandemic situation and the uncertainty that lies ahead. Blake’s trip philosophy is it needs to be musically educational in addition to being fun. He has taken previous bands to New Orleans and had very good experiences there.
Julianna – M100 color guard is working hard and making good progress. The new uniforms look great.
Middle School Orchestra: Lindsey Wolfford
- Numbers are little lower than in years past, which is to be expected.
- Have found a sectional room for orchestra – space in the Annex cafeteria.
- Elementary Recruitment Rally ,Thursday, September 2 at 6:30 at AHS. West orchestra will meet in the Auditorium, North/East orchestra will be in the gym, and all elementary band will meet in the band room.
- Chris Jarden doing very well recruiting at West.
- North band and orchestra is talking to 4th and 5th grade classes in the gym after the morning meeting.
- No report.
- Still looking for a parent to take over hospitality. Mostly for spring concert receptions.
Ways and Means
- Laura P. reported on behalf of Laura Gibbs: Laura G. reached out to Shivers over the summer to set up an ABOB dine out night, but they never responded.
- Possible dine out at Olga’s on Tuesday, October 5.
- ABOB Fall Fundraiser (Tom Evans Mr. Fundraising) kicks off tomorrow. Runs through September 7. Pick up October 5. Students will have brochures but will take order via their personal Mr. Fundraising online store via a QR code.
- No report
Technology – Roger Waggener
- No report. Asked anyone to share any concerns with technology with him.
- Laura P. brought up concerns on audience numbers for Trivia Night.
- Ed Gray suggested 6 people at a table instead of 10 and charge $20 per person. Limit to 15 tables.
- Shansey’s will do the questions again.
- John Ducey is lined up for emcee.
- President Waggener will head up the silent auction baskets.
Craft Fair – David & Paula Fritz
- Have about 130 crafters who have turned in their paperwork. We had 177 crafters in 2019.
- Amy Hillery will do basket raffle one more year. Asked if there could be another parent or two to shadow her and take over.
- Mike Halliday will head up the kitchen.
- We still need a couple of parents to take over doors.
- Need to confirm soda/water with Penny.
- AHS music staff will line up student volunteers. Since we missed Craft Fair, Dave suggested a student worker meeting with the kids. President Waggener suggested pairing underclassmen with upperclassmen. We’ll use 8th grade Jr. National Honor Society students. AMS kids can volunteer with their parent.
- Will keep an eye on Edwardsville and O’Fallon’s craft fairs which happen before ours to see what happens.
Dinner Auction – Ed Gray
- Nothing to report.
Spring Vendor Fair
- No report.
Blake Korte asked if was could move the start time of our ABOB meetings to 6:00 or 6:30. It was agreed going forward our ABOB monthly meeting will start at 6:00 p.m.
Next Meeting – Monday, September 27, 2021 at 6:00 p.m.
Meeting adjourned at 8:09 p.m.