Minutes of Meeting – July 27, 2015

Alton Band and Orchestra Builders

Meeting Minutes
July 27, 2015

VOTING MEMBERS IN ATTENDANCE:

Amy Hillery – President
Vickie Schilling – Vice President
Ed Gray – Financial Secretary
Cindy Kirbach – Treasurer
Mike Haynes – Communications
Rose Lammers – Craft Fair
Tom Pullen – ABOB.net
Paula Fritz – Hospitality
Penny Boedeker – Secretary

TEACHERS IN ATTENDANCE:

Laura Plummer
Alyssa Cudney
Michaela Davis

GUESTS:

Jamie Pullen, Dave Fritz

President Hillery called the meeting to order at 7:02 pm. Minutes of the June meeting were reviewed. Seeing no additions or corrections, Laura Plummer made the motion to accept, seconded by Paula Fritz, motion carried. Treasurer, Cindy Kirbach, presented the financial report. Mike Haynes made the motion to accept the report as presented, seconded by Rose Lammers, motion carried.

TEACHER REPORTS:

Laura Plummer had nothing to report for Orchestra.

Amy Hillery reported on behalf of the Middle school. The will have String Camp this year from August 10-14.

Alyssa Cudney reported that the Marching 100 participated in the VP and Red Bud parades. Although they did not place in the VP Parade they did very well. Kids looked good on tv and sounded good overall. Band Camp started today. Weather was very hot but they managed to get through 6 pages on field first day. Attitude of group is great. No complaining and they are all in. Parent performance is next Thursday evening, August 6, at West.

COMMITTEE REPORTS:

Communications: Mike Haynes reported that he sent out communication regarding Amazon link for Amazon Prime Day. Fairly active in social media. Jazz combo with Tim Jarden performed over the weekend. Sounded really good. We have contacted Riverbed Actors to support ABOB in future. They choose one organization each year to support.
ABOB.net: Tom Pullen asked if we needed to revisit organization of web page. Discussed cleaning up site by deleting older posts and giving more clear directions on how to use search function to find things on the web page.
Uniform Fundraiser: Mike Haynes reported the committee met before June board meeting. Made some progress. October 17, will be next button days. Confirmed date and Jamie Pullen is still contacting businesses in the area to add locations. There will be a new button with the Gotham cape logo.
Tom Pullen reported that he was approached by Daryl Eaton from Sherlock Nation regarding a mobile app for fundraising, similar to Amazon. The app is free and when someone buys music, books or games through the app, we would get a portion of the purchase price. He will arrange for him to attend a meeting to present more information.
Laura Plummer reported that she spoke with Bob Ramsey from Light Up Alton, an organization that is working to improve the image of Alton, about having buttons available at a community event they may be having on October 17.
Ed Gray reported that Romas Pizza in Bethalto has agreed to do a fundraiser on August 12 from 11am to close. We will receive 10% of the total bill for any eat in or carry out order that a customer either presents a flyer or tells them they are with Marching 100 or ABOB. Communications will set up a Facebook event and email blast. Additionally event will be promoted at Marching 100 parent event as well as on ABOB.net Michaela Davis volunteered to make flyer for Romas to approve that will include hours, 10% of sales, phone number and address.
Ways & Means: Courtney Frosch was unable to attend. Laura Plummer reported that she is lining up Butter braids for spring and fall.
Amy made suggestion that we set up a restaurant fundraiser on a regular basis. Looking for volunteer to set up an event each month.
Laura Plummer reported that Trivia night will be held October 16. Looking for businesses to be round sponsor.

There will be a band and orchestra Alumni Event. It will be held the night of homecoming, Sept 25. Marching 100 alumni will have the opportunity to play during pre-game. There will be a mixer immediately following the football game until midnight at Spirits lounge. Spirits is donating the space for the event. We will be offering an alumni T-Shirt using the Gotham design and adding Alumni to the front and a red shirt for school colors.
Amy Hillery reported that we will be having a car wash fundraiser in August. Carol Wheaton has volunteered to organize the event. The suggested date is August 22 with multiple locations in different parts of town.Craft Fair – Rose Lammers reported that 164 booths have been placed for this year. Might be able to place an additional 50-60 booths. They have already received one contract for 2016. They have found volunteers to chair all areas.

Hospitality: Paula Fritz reported that they will be serving lunch at Band Camp next week. Ed and Cathy Gray will be donating lunch for Monday, Tuesday – Sub Sandwiches, Wednesday donated by Vern Van Hoy and Thursday will be the famous walking tacos.

OLD BUSINESS:

Amy Hillery reported that Middle school will have t-shirts for band this year designed by Dan McKinney. Front small logo and larger logo on back.
Tome Pullen reported that we have received one instrument in good shaper in response to our letter posted on Craig’s list asking for donations of used instruments. He has also received an email from someone who has 18-20 instruments, some in fair condition with cases and some for parts. There have been contacts from two other people who have possible donations.

NEW BUSINESS

Alyssa Cudney is engaged. Wedding plans have begun for next Fall.

 

Next Meeting Scheduled for August 24.

Meeting adjourned at 8:09pm.
Respectfully Submitted,
Penny Boedeker

Secretary