Members in Attendance:
Amy Hillery – President
Ruth Waggener – Vice President
Cindy Kirbach – Treasurer
Ed Gray – Financial Secretary
Jamie Pullen – Ways & Means
Mike Haynes – Communications
Tonya Duke – Trivia Night
Paula Fritz – Craft Fair
Jill Mitchell – Spring Vendor Fair
Mike & Alex (Alexandria) Bagwill – M100 color guard mom and dad
Teachers in Attendance
President Amy Hillery called the meeting to order at 7:02 p.m. in the Alton H.S. orchestra room. Minutes from the May meeting were reviewed. No additions or corrections requested. Mike Haynes made the motion to accept, Jill Mitchell seconded, and the motion carried.
The financial report was reviewed by Cindy Kirbach, Treasurer. ABOB started the new fiscal year on June 1, 2018. The 2017-2018 year-end report is at the auditors. Cindy noted ABOB has the funds to make the final uniform payment to the Alton School District and has $956.11 to start the next campaign for a new drumline for Marching 100. Funds have been received for the Scot Allen Memorial Scholarship from his mother, $500.00 for private lessons for 2 Marching 100 students. Cindy also noted that funds from the last Busch Stadium concession stand and the Alton Steel Fundraiser have been received but have not been sent off to Music Travel Consultants. Mike Haynes made the motion to approve the treasurer’s report, Ed Gray seconded, and the motion carried.
Laura Plummer, AHS Orchestra: nothing to report.
AHS Band Report Email from Alyssa Overmann and Steve James:
- Marching 100 has been rehearsing on Tuesday nights – they’re going GREAT! The kids are rehearsing well, the new ones have jumped in with both feet, and we’ve really been having a great time. We’re off to a really spectacular start. I’m so excited
- We have lots of new staff members:
WW – Ian Hayden (returning)
Brass – Chris Jarden (returning) and Kenny King (new)
Percussion – Andrew Bosomworth (new)
Color Guard – Mike Paynic (returning)
We are still looking to fill a couple of spots, too. Adding Mr. King fulfills my dream of having the Alton directors active with all band students 5-12. It’s a very exciting thing to have that continuity in the program.
- M100 just marched the Red Bud Parade, which went very well.
- Next week they’ll have the VP Parade in St. Louis, which will be televised on channel 4. Kids need to be at school by 6:45 a.m. The parade starts at 9:30am and has a bunch of changes – they’ve reversed the route – start at Market & 20th by Union Station and heads toward the arch to end at Market & Broadway. I think the award ceremony will then be at Kiener Plaza. Should be a great day!
- We then take a week off before having the new Music Camp July 11-13. Just trying to get the music in their heads/hands before camp. It should make camp way easier.
- Camp starts July 24, at AHS. We are looking for donations of Gatorade, animal crackers, cheez its, fresh fruit (to freeze), etc. If anyone is out and about and can grab some! Amy Miller is again heading up the parent tent. She’ll be looking for volunteers – can email her at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- I think that’s what I’ve got so far. All is going well, and we’re excited to get the season rolling!
- Trip fundraisers have slowed down a ton: we’re just doing broom and popsocket check in/out on Tuesday rehearsal evenings. Cardinal games were canceled due to lack of interest – people stopped signing up to work. We are looking at having another photo day in the fall – that one went really well, and people seemed to like it. We’ll regroup after band camp.
Laura Plummer mentioned that Ken & Jean Conrady will be recognized for their contributions to music in our schools and community at the October 27 Alton Symphony Orchestra concert. Laura will send out info on submitting memories and/or nice thoughts of Ken and Jean which will be published and read at the concert. Amy noted there is a Facebook event for the October 27 concert.
Amy mentioned we are in need of someone to take on hospitality.
Communications – Mike Haynes
Nothing to report at this time.
Technology – Tom Pullen
Nothing to report at this time.
- Ways & Means – Jamie Pullen
Thursday, August 2 is Shiver’s dine out after the M100 band camp parent performance.
- Germania 1 Year Anniversary and 5K did not come to fruition. Jamie did leave a message if they’d like to do something in the future.
- Wednesday, August 15 Roma’s dine out 11:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. Either bring a flier or mention ABOB when paying your bill. ABOB will receive 10% profit. ABOB will receive 15% if we bring in $3,000.00 profit. Mike will take care of sending out communications for the Roma’s dine out.
Trivia Night – Tonya Duke
Friday, September 21 at the Best Western Premier. Ruth Waggener is taking over the Silent Auction portion of the Trivia Night and she has someone doing the section baskets. Tonya and Laura are meeting to get things going.
Craft Fair – Paula Fritz
Things are moving along and Paula is making phone calls. Paula has requested from Tom to be added to email@example.com. Discussion about firstname.lastname@example.org and clarification that this is the email used for the Craft Fair and not a general ABOB email. Paula is meeting with Rose on July 7 to start assigning booths.
Spring Vendor Fair – Jill Mitchell
Will run 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. There will be no pancake breakfast. Jill is only taking 80 since she can fill up the Commons space where pancake breakfast was and if needed go down into the main hallway. Jill has contacted T Mo’s Tacos and Pig on a Wing food trucks. Both are interested. Jill discussed donating a percentage of their profit. Amy confirmed T Mo’s does fundraisers. We will still sell left over chips, candy, soda, and water from contest and Jill needs student workers to get food for vendors throughout the day.
Thank you note was received from Alyssa Plummer for the ABOB senior scholarship and from the Gray Family for the donation for Ron Gray’s memorial.
Alex Bagwill shared concerns from the color guard of being left out and not a part of the 100. She noted that guard had been left out of communications for the Disney Trip until two months ago. They were under the impressions they were not included on the Disney Trip. Color guard had a quarter auction this past weekend to raise funds for their part of the Disney Trip. They are considering a glow in the dark bingo fundraiser for M100 color guard Disney Trip on August 18 in the AHS Commons. There was discussion about how to improve communication with the M100 color guard. Michelle Sitton and Alex Bagwill are stepping up for the color guard which is a good start. Cindy asked about the money from the quarter auction. Alex stated it was with one of the chair people who made the quarter auction. Cindy also requested a report showing which students receive what amount of profit to be deposited into their trip account.
Haug Orthodontics has reached out to ABOB about referring patients to Haug and ABOB would receive 2% of the starting treatment fee. ABOB decided to decline the offer based on referring our students to one business over others in the community including those who are sponsors for ABOB events. ABOB receives a donation from Brinkman for Dinner Auction which includes 10% off a visit as part of their basket. This led to discussion about listing business sponsors and donors on abob.net.
The next meeting will be July 23, 7:00 p.m. in the AHS orchestra room.
Meeting was adjourned at 8:00 p.m.
Respectfully submitted, Laura Plummer